Friday, April 22, 2011

Like OMG! To Be 14!- Watashi wa Amaya desu

I spoke to my niece today. I write about it because she's just way too cool and important to talk to me on most days. I'm honored because she's just nearly perfect. The girl most parents would want, I'm sure, but they don't know it until their perfect princess is on 16 & Pregnant or fist pumping with Snookie. So maybe she isn't the best student, but she is the coolest teenager I know and I know teenagers. I almost hate them. I'm 21ish (meaning nearly 30,) but I do remember middle school. I still know the days of begging for a hot pink thisorthat and begging to get acrylic nails. I remember sneaking out to get my eyebrows waxed and finding my way into rated "R" movies. I remember 14. It wasn't yesterday but only a couple days before that I begged Mom for a $125 pair of Nikes because so and so had them and some asky-kneed little boy so-and-so liked her because she dressed cool and I needed them. I didn't get the shoes. Amaya, she wouldn't want them. She wouldn't care about so-and-so or ashy-kneed little boy so-and-so. She likes candy and collects Japanese erasers. She wears t-shirts that have misprinted english words on them and rocks out to Hotel California. Urban Dictionary could read: She is the definition of cool. The Defeator of Bullies, the Daily Topic of Obnoxious Conversation and the Ultimate Everything that no one knows is the next best thing. They spend their days buried in "boyfriends" and reality show fashions while she is producing movie shorts for YouTube and re-writing the words of Lady GaGa. This kid is on to something! I am well aware she could possibly grow out of this so this is a tangible reminder of The Cool. A reminder when she faces heartbreak and her first "NO" from a lame Producer. Someone, on the other side of the world, thinks she is an inspiration. And as I look into my couture filled closet and decide which color to paint my nails, I miss her even more. A Friday night of self-reflection. She knows who she is and I'm still growing. We could all learn a little more from her. And Maybe, just maybe we should stop focusing on our sequinsed-covered lives and do the Amaya.

Watashi wa Amaya desu...

3 comments:

  1. love love love.... I do love Amaya but I really love your wonderful gift of putting together words that mean nothing alone but speack volumes when arranged by you... YOU are MY inspiration!
    Ashely

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awee thanks buddy!!!! I miss this kid! Only 22 hours of flying and a billion dollar ticket away...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey i didnt know you knew Japanese Doris.... or did you google translate the whole thing ;)
    miss you! and love you! can you guess who this is :D

    ReplyDelete